Call for Scripts for The Script Department Podcast

The Script Department is a scripted podcast – as well as John Finnegan’s post-doc research project – that has been showcasing lots of great screenplays from writers over the last 12 months and we’d love to hear from practice-led researchers who have academic screenplays they’d like to share with the world.
The objective of this podcast is to showcase the work of screenwriters in a way that is removed from the filmmaking process so that writers can tell the stories they want to tell without concern for industry trends, marketplace demands or production logistics. To show the creative skills of screenwriters in a way that doesn’t depend on the all the outside influences which can determine whether or not a script gets adapted to the screen.
We have a small but consistent listenership right now and we are hoping to build on this in our second year and to do this, we need your help!
We are currently looking for short screenplays of any genre. We will be opening it up to features later in the year but for now we want to concentrate on shorts.
If you’d like to see what we have produced so far, you can visit our website, www.thescriptdepartment.net or search for ‘The Script Department’ where-ever you get your podcasts.
If you like what you hear, you can send a premise or synopsis to contact@thescriptdepartment.net and we will get back to you in due course.

German-speaking Screenwriting Research Network

To promote academic screenwriting research in German-speaking countries, four members of the SRN—Jan Henschen, Florian Krauß, Alexandra Ksenofontova, and Claus Tieber—started the Netzwerk Drehbuchforschung in 2018.

The network aims to enable exchange between scholars who focus on screenwriting texts and processes in the German-language context; it further seeks to develop screenwriting research with view to the specifics of the German-speaking academia.

The first one-day conference of the Netzwerk Drehbuchforschung took place in November 2019 in Berlin and brought together over two dozen screenwriting researchers. Information about further events, members of the network, and its goals can be found under https://drehbuchforschung.wordpress.com/

SRN Executive Minutes – December

Minutes of SRN EC Meeting
16.12.2019 at 9 pm GMT/UTC (via Skype)

Circulation list: Carmen Sofia Brenes (CSB), Rose Ferrell (RF), Alexandra Ksenofontova (AK),
Rafael Leal (RL), Margaret McVeigh (MM), Paolo Russo (PR), Rosanne Welch (RW)

Agenda

1. Apologies for absence – All in attendance

2. Minutes of previous EC Meeting for approval
• Approved. Action Points still pending have been itemized in the December Agenda.

3. News/update re:
a. SRN2020 Oxford Conference (PR)
• PR reports around 120 submissions – will get back to presenters in late January
• EC voted against granting deadline extension till end of December as it would not be fair to people who submitted timely

b. Newsletter
• MM reported on the latest issue: good response from readers
• RW should be credited next time as well
• ACTION – Next call will be in February (to publish in March) and will feature SRN2020
• ACTION – RL to install plugin to automatize alerts

c. Website: Resources and Local Initiatives sections, Awards (RL, All)
▪ Should we start new sections now? There are Falmouth and Germany (very successful) for now: these have been very successful and are planning 2020 editions. We should give them more visibility.
• AK reported the Germany event saw high attendance, high quality of papers. As a result, 2 more JOS subscriptions in Germany. The German “division” of the research network will apply for financing and plans another conference for 2020, hosted this time by a different person. The German network has its own separate website – is it worth doubling the information on our SRN website? But it is in German only, so is it worth translating into English?
• PR suggested that the SRN website can include a short description plus links to the fuller websites. Also, it looks like some membership requests came in German in the wake of this event.
• ACTION: MM suggests to include these initiatives too in the Newsletter.
• ACTION: Both (AK to liaise with John Finnegan) to send content for the website BUT no rush. In January she’s Skyping with Claus and other German organizers so they will send RL the info on the events.
• ACTION: RL suggests to install Google Analytics to see how individual members come to the site? No personal info taken – he will ask for plug ins installed. All agree.

d. Social media:
▪ AK reports on the new weekly posts on different themes etc.– Very good engagement, good reach and active community. Will keep analyzing data to report again in a few months’ time. AK spoke with social media manager and said if 10% of our subscribers react to our posts, that’s a good showing
▪ Not good to have multiple posts on same day. further away posts are from each other, the larger their reach – so if ou have good information but something else has already been posted that day – don’t post or you will waste it on a lesser audience. At the moment, there are 7 administrators on the page allowed to post.
▪ RL suggests podcasts are a good thing to share.
▪ AK also started to collect information about other initiatives (Festivals, etc.).
▪ Emma Berrill from Intellect compiled a list of institutions that have subscriptions to JoS to advertise – also plans to advertise numbers of members – where they come from?
▪ AK is working on Twitter login/password to keep it alive
▪ ACTION – AK to send DOC with suggested posts in advance in monthly updates
▪ ACTION (ALL) – If you have info to share, email AK and she will schedule it to not overlap
▪ ACTION – JF will liaise with AK for Twitter to start tweeting from January. RL suggests that we can automatize Tweets when we have new posts or updates on website.
▪ ACTION – PR to send AK statistics about Membership. RF to send current numbers to AK. Membership update is scheduled in January agenda.
▪ ACTION – AK to contact previous FB page administrator to ensure posting plan goes smoothly.

4. SRN Awards (PR, All)
• PR confirms members of the renewed Jury: Tom Stempel, Janet Staiger, Eva Novrup Redvall
• PR re: need to send out more frequent reminders on FB and website with deadline for nominations
• MM asks question about judging criteria – e.g. in Australia, be published by a prestigious publishing house or journal (not self-published). PR confirms that the Awards criteria
specify that all nominees must be fully peer-reviewed, scholarly publications.
• AK and PR point out that the call (or any other info on the SRN Awards) is not found on the website.
• At SRN 2019 in Porto, members suggested to add award for book chapters in edited volumes. Should we add these as a new category?
• RW and ALL agree it would be a good idea and therefore the EC approves BUT…
• PR points out that adding book chapters may mean too many nominations and the jury would be too busy.
• MM suggests a subcommittee that would screen and shortlist the nominations to a final pool to then send to the Jury. The subcommittee could include the winners from last year (in
this case, JJ Murphy and Rakesh Sengupta), then maybe past conference hosts (like Davinia Thornley) to start with, JoS editorial board members, and members of the EC if needed.
Perhaps each member of the subcommittee could be given max 3 nominees and could produce a summary evaluation to other members, based on a shared rubric/template to
ensure fair evaluation. The criteria must highlight that publications must be specifically about screenwriting, and make a significant contribution to the field, something with a
strong hypothesis/new academic theory as opposed to simply unearthing a case study.
• AK points out this has to be dealt with sooner rather than later, to give enough time to prepare and read.
• PR observes that the above (i.e. introduction of a subcommittee) will imply changing the submission procedure. So far, nominees would send copies of publications directly to Jury.
Now, they should send to us and we then send shortlisted publications to the jury. This means the EC must coordinate distribution/forwarding of copies to members of
Subcommittee first: and that the Jury will receive the shortlisted publications only at a later time, closer or after the deadline (which happened anyway, last year, so hopefully not a
problem).
• MM wonders whether we can accept publications in other languages and she feels limiting to English language might be too “colonialist”. Regardless of reason, PR points out that this
would raise a number of practical problems (e.g. how many languages, how to find readers able to evaluate publications in those languages for free and within timescale).
• CSB doesn’t think English is colonizing because it allows non-English-speaking scholars to reach a much bigger audience and be more visible internationally.
• AK suggests that awards in non-English languages could be created by local initiatives
• PR suggests that we discuss this again at SRN 2020 with all members, if relevant
• ACTION –PR to contact Jury members and 1) inform them of new suggestion, 2) ask if they used template last year and draft rubric for next EC meeting to approve at the latest.
• ACTION – PR to contact previous winners and conference hosts to see if they would serve on sub-committee. Next EC meeting to plan more people to contact for subcommittee.
• ACTION – PR to draft new procedure for next EC meeting to approve.
• ACTION – PR to prepare and send revised info on call/deadline/categories/jury/subcommittee/procedure to RL to post on website and to AK for FB page (likely at end of January)

5. Relationship between SRN and JoS
• AK posted list of institutions that have JoS subscription. Will encourage more to subscribe through photos of EC with JoS issue.
• AK and RW to maintain contact/update from JoS

6. Suggested items for January EC meeting
a. Diversity and awareness
b. Update on membership
c. Address membership in underrepresented regions
d. Initiatives in specific regions (visibility, liaising, etc.)
e. Elections: Call for nominations
• Approved

7. Any other business
• There was no other business

Date of next meeting: Monday 20 January, 9 pm UTC/GMT
• Confirmed. MM won’t be able to attend.

The EC meeting ends at 10.07 pm GMT/UTC

13th SRN International Conference website is now on!

We are glad to announce that the website of the 13th SRN International Conference (SRN2020) to be held at Oxford Brookes University next September is now live and can be accessed at the following URL:

https://srn2020.com/

Although still work in progress, it already contains plenty of useful information that you can use to start planning and making arrangements: e.g. the Call for Papers and Submission details, campus location, travel and airport transfer information, suggested options for accommodation (including affordable rooms on-campus and guest houses near the university campus), and more.

We will keep adding content to other sections of the website (e.g. Registration, venues and facilities, Catering, Conference programme, abstracts and lots more) in the forthcoming months based on deadlines and availability. We will notify you of any relevant updates in due course.

We take this opportunity to remind everyone that the deadline for the submission of abstracts is approaching. Please send us your proposals by Sunday 15 DECEMBER 2019. Details of acceptable formats and submission guidelines are available in the Call for Papers section of the website.

SRN Executive Minutes – October 2019

Minutes of SRN EC Meeting

21.10.2019 at 10 pm GMT/UTC (via Skype)

Attendees: Carmen Sofia Brenes (CSB), Rose Ferrell (RF), Alexandra Ksenofontova (AK), Margaret McVeigh (MM), Paolo Russo (PR), Rosanne Welch (RW)
Apologies: Rafael Leal (RL)

Agenda

1. Approval of Minutes of September meetings

a. EC Meeting 11.9.19
b. AGM 13.9.19
c. New EC – first informal Meeting 13.9.19

All Minutes approved; all action points itemized in the rolling agenda for the new academic year.
ACTION: RL to upload these – as well as Annual Report and Action Plan as approved at AGM in Porto – on Website

2. Experiences from Porto Conference:

• Re: photos posted on social media by the Porto conference organizers, AK pointed out that privacy rules in some countries (e.g. Germany) allow individual members to tell conference
organizers if they do NOT want photos of themselves posted social media. It was suggested that future conferences could/should include on the registration section of their website an
“opt out” check box.
ACTION: PR to include option in SRN2020 website

• It was suggested that the Newsletter could collect comments from attendees of the Porto conference. For example, Rakeesh Sengupta and JJ Murphy – i.e. the winners of the first SRN
Awards.
ACTION: MM and RW to collect comments

• Could the Newsletter include updates on JOS, especially for the benefit of new members? It was noted that the Editorial Board of JOS is currently undergoing restructuring.
ACTION: MM and RW to liaise with the new Editors when possible.

3. News/update re: SRN2020 Oxford Conference:

• SRN2020 in Oxford will test the 4-day format proposed in Porto. Day 1 will set aside the
morning for EC meetings and similar, with official start after lunch time.

• It will also provide more spaces to have informal/networking/speed dating meetings. In the
future, this will have to be provided for by the various conference organizers.

• PR is working on website for registration – it will include lots of useful details for attendees.
It should be launched at some point in November.
ACTION – ALL to forward CfP to Research Networks/societies/mailing lists/social media as possible. Could use shared list on GoogleDrive

• It was asked whether simultaneous translation could be made available but this would be too expensive (even in case a sponsor was found) and have an impact on registration fee.

4. SRN 2022 Missouri:

ACTION: PR and CSB to send final letter of approval to RW

5. Newsletter (MM, RW)

• Part of this was covered earlier in meeting (see above).
• The new issue of the Newsletter will be out by end of November. 3 issues a year.
• RL is looking into option to have automatic alerts when each issue is uploaded.
ACTION: RL to update on this at next EC meeting

6. Membership (PR, RF)

Admin of JISCMail and new membership application has been handed over to RF.

Items 7, 8 and 9 (below) were noted as relevant topics for rolling agenda of forthcoming meetings in
Nov19-June20.

7. Content/Use of the SRN Web presence

8. ECR activities

9. Action Points for new year: EC to prioritize

a. Relationship between the SRN and the JoS
b. Diversity and awareness
c. Address membership in underrepresented regions
d. Initiatives in specific regions (visibility, liaising, etc.)
e. SRN Awards
f. Elections: Call for nominations
g. Conferences
h. Renewal of website domain
i. Discussion on membership fee

10. Any other business

There was no other business.

11. Date of next meeting: Monday 18 November, 10 pm UTC (TBC)

Confirmed at meeting. However, due to DST change coming into effect at the end of October, the
next meeting will actually start at 9 pm UTC/GMT, as per time pool spreadsheet shared among EC
members.

EC meeting ended at 11.05 pm GMT/UTC

SRN Executive Council Members

Here you can find information about the Executive Council and its activities (below). The current members of the Executive Council are:


Margaret McVeigh PhD (Chairperson) is Head, Screenwriting & Contextual Studies, Griffith Film School, Griffith University, Australia. She is 2021-2022 Chair of the SRN (Screenwriting Research Network International). Margaret holds a Masters of Screenwriting by Creative Practice and a PhD in Film and New Media Narrative. She has extensive national and international industry experience in Public Relations and Post-Production and has worked as the Commissioning Editor for Wiley publishers and as a Writer for the Australian National Broadcaster’s ABC Splash. Margaret is co-editor of Transcultural Screenwriting: Telling Stories for a Global World (2017). Her chapter, Work in Progress: the Writing of Shortchanged in The Palgrave Handbook of Screen Production (2019), explores her creative process in writing a feature film, development-funded by Screen Queensland.


Rosanne Welch, PhD, (Secretary) serves as Executive Director of Stephens College MFA in TV and Screenwriting where she created a set of History of Screenwriting courses (because ‘History of Film’ courses become History of Directors’ courses and thereby ‘History of Great Men’) and teaches courses in One-Hour Drama. Her television writing credits include Beverly Hills 90210, Picket Fences, ABCNEWS: Nightline and Touched by an Angel. Welch edited When Women Wrote Hollywood (2018), named runner-up for the Susan Koppelman Award honoring the best anthology, multi-authored, or edited book in feminist studies by the Popular Culture Association. She co-edited Women in American History: A Social, Political, and Cultural Encyclopedia (named to both the 2018 Outstanding References Sources List and to the list of Best Historical Materials, by the American Library Association) and wrote Why The Monkees Matter: Teenagers, Television and American Popular Culture. In 2016 Welch gave the talk “The Importance of Having a Female Voice in the Room” at the TEDxCPP (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JFNsqKBRnA). She also serves as Book Reviews Editor of the Journal of Screenwriting.


Rose Ferrell (Membership and Inclusion Officer) is an independent researcher, film / screenwriting practitioner and adjunct lecturer at one of Australia’s premier acting schools, the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts (WAAPA), within Edith Cowan University, Perth, Australia. Rose has a background in film production as both a technician and creator of fiction and non-fiction, and as a leader / trainer in community arts film projects. As a screenwriter and researcher, Rose’s interests are in creative practice, screenwriter’s voice and cultural-national inflection in voice. Her writings have been published in the Journal of Screenwriting (Intellect, 2017), Transcultural Screenwriting: Telling Stories for a Global World (Cambridge Scholars 2017), the Palgrave Handbook of Screen Production (2019) and the forthcoming Palgrave Handbook of Script Development (2021). She was editor of a special issue of the Journal of Screenwriting on Women in Screenwriting with Rosanne Welch, of Stephens College, Los Angeles, and is developing a book on the same theme, again with Rosanne. Rose’s latest work is a stage musical, Her Latest Flame, expected to be produced in 2022.


Rafael Leal (Website Coordinator) is a screenwriter and executive producer based in Rio de Janeiro. Professor of Screenwriting at the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro and PhD Candidate in Film at Fluminense Federal University, Rafael researches how immersive narratives challenge linear screenwriting. His creations include the feature film Too Soon and TV shows Queenpin and Jungle Pilot, whose development was subject of the chapter Transcultural Collaboration in Screenwriting: Jungle Pilot’s Case Study, published in the book Transcultural Screenwriting: Telling Stories for a Global World (Cambridge Scholars). You can find him at Academia.edu, IMDb or at his personal website.


Jan Černík (Newsletter Editor) is Assistant Professor in Film Studies at Palacký University (Czech Republic). In research he combines an interest in the topics of Czech and Czechoslovak cinema, audiovisual industries, and screenwriting. He believes that in an exploration of audiovisual culture, we have to consider the applicability of our findings, which is an idea highly compatibile with the efforts of Screenwriting Research Network. Jan graduated in film studies and philosophy and received his Ph.D. degree in film history in 2018. You can find his publications at ORCIDAcademia.edu and Research Gate.


Shaopeng Chen (Early Career Researcher Representative) is a lecturer in School of Arts, Southeast University (China). He received his PhD degree in Film Studies from University of Southampton (UK). He holds a MA degree in Animation Arts from Nanjing University of the Arts (China), but his research covers both Chinese animation and live-action Chinese film. He has published articles in various periodicals such as Journal of Screenwriting, Animation: An Interdisciplinary Journal and Film Criticism. His first monograph The New Generation in Chinese Animation was published by Bloomsbury in September 2021. His research interests include animation screenwriting, general aesthetics in animation, film industry in China, government policy of Chinese creative industries and the cartoon brand in the Chinese animation industry.

 


Isadora García Avis (Newsletter Co-Editor)is Lecturer in Audiovisual Narrative at the School of Communication Sciences, Universitat Internacional de Catalunya (Spain), where she teaches modules on film and television narrative, screenwriting for television formats and transmedia storytelling. She obtained her PhD at the University of Navarra (Spain), with a doctoral dissertation on transcultural remakes in television. Her thesis was awarded the First Prize of Research in Audiovisual Communication, issued by the Audiovisual Council of Catalunya. Her main academic interests focus on adaptation studies, screenwriting, and television formats (more specifically, scripted series). Her research tends to have a transcultural scope, and it usually combines textual and hermeneutical analysis of audiovisual narratives with other qualitative methods, like in-depth interviews with screenwriters and producers. You can find her at Academia.edu.

SRN Executive Minutes – September 2019

Minutes for SRN Executive Council meeting

Porto, 11 September 2019 at 1630 hrs

 

Attending: Paolo Russo, Anna Zaluczkowska, Margaret McVeigh, Christina Milligan

Apologies: John Finnegan, Carmen Sofia Brenes, Claus Tieber

 

Paolo Russo acting as Secretary and also Chair in the absence of Claus and Carmen.

 

  1. Minutes from previous meeting:  Approved.
  2. To pass on to new EC:   Nothing extraordinary to pass on.  
  3. Agenda for the AGM:   Proceed with circulated agenda sent out 30 August.
  4. Membership:   561 – up 68 from 2018 – mostly UK, Australia, US – also new members from e.g. Guatemala, Italy, Brazil.
    1. Suggested that new EC could work more on encouraging new members from e.g. Asian countries – ACTION POINT (New EC)
  5. Executive Council:   No elections needed as nominations match number of retiring members.
    1. Three new members: Roseanne Welch, Rose Ferrell, Rafael Leal.
    2. New Early Career Researcher: Alexandra Ksenofontova – who already confirmed.
    3. Chair: Carmen Sofia Brenes to remain Chair.
    4. At next/first new EC meeting, discuss other positions – ideally Secretary from one of more experienced members
  6. Conference format: numbers have increased over the years – from about 40 to start with, to about 180 people registered last year with about 120 papers delivered; this year expected to be about 110-115. 

Discussion over size of conference re number of papers in parallel and number of plenaries.

    1. Based on past years, about 90 papers have felt about right for three days. No wish to be prescriptive but maybe 90-100 + 3 keynotes could be suggestion for future conferences.
    2. Is it time to have a four-day conference? Would accommodate 100 papers better – to be brought up at the AGM this year and introduced formally at 2020 conference
    3. Need to have space to encourage ECRs etc.
    4. Are posters a possibility eg? Or other formats? More types of pre-constituted panels?
    5. Discussion around good points (e.g. sponsorship) and bad (focus of discussion away from actual research) of involving the industry as in NZ 2017

 

  1. Confirmation of Conferences for 2020-2023
    1. Oxford 2020 – theme: pushing boundaries
      1. Paolo briefs on Oxford and conference statistics in general:
        1. Looks like the SRN Awards have prize secured for next couple of years
        2. Cost of a conference tends to be between 12-18k GBP, including prizes for awards. 
        3. Registration fees tend to be around 90-110 GBP – staying pretty constant although what is included can vary (e.g. whether lunches and/or dinners are included).
        4. Discussion re whether late fee should be double ordinary fee – feeling is that it is a little too punitive – should be less.  
        5. Should we set up a fund for some free places?  Worry about how to administer and whether it is at all fair – how does one decide who gets the places?  Maybe a bursary of some sort? – ACTION POINT (new EC)
    2. Vienna 2021 (confirmed) – theme: global
    3. Missouri 2022 (confirmed, but formal letter pending) – theme: screenwriting and women – or perhaps gender – ACTION POINT: PR to circulate the proposal for 2022 to EC – so that letter of acceptance can be sent to RW
    4. Rio, Brazil 2023 (confirmed) – theme: different take on postcolonial/decolonization
  • ACTION POINT – EC could think about publicising the new cycle of CfPs earlier than  they currently have been.

 

  • ACTION POINT (new EC, PR) – Should there be a template for future conference organizers?  There is a feeling that this would be helpful – Paolo suggests he could provide it.

 

  1. Membership fee: discussion re whether there should be a fee for belonging to the SRN?  Could be a small amount – say 10 GBP? Reprise of past discussions re running an organisation that takes in money – brings responsibilities with it.  Reluctance around the table re this. Further discussion re other ways to handle this and suggestion new EC continue exploring this. – ACTION POINT (New EC)
  2. SRN Awards: ask the organizers of this year to announce.
    1. Need to publicise the awards more but they are new, so hopefully now people are more aware of them. – ACTION POINT (New EC)
    2. Agree that rotating the jury every second year feels about right.
  3. Domain for SRN webpage is renewed for another two years from July 2019 – possibly after that things will need to be reconsidered.  New EC needs to think about this sooner rather than later.  – ACTION POINT (New EC)

 

Date for next meeting – informal meeting of new EC at conference after AGM.  Next formal meeting date to be decided once new EC gathers

 

Meeting closes 18:10.

 

 

First Meeting of new EC, SRN Conference Porto, September 13th, 2019

Start: ca. 7:50 pm          End: ca. 8:10 pm

Attending: Margaret McVeigh (MM), Paolo Russo (PR), Rafael Leal (RL), Alexandra Ksenofontova (AK), Rosanne Welch (RW), Rose Ferrell (RF)

  1. The AGM elected Rafael Leal, Rosanne Welch and Rose Ferrell as new members of the EC for two years.
  2. The EC inducted Alexandra Ksenofontova as ECR for one year.
  3. The EC unanimously confirms CFB as Chairperson and PR as Secretary. MM takes over the Newsletter, aided by RW (formally nominated as Treasurer). RL will be Website Coordinator. RF will be in charge of Membership.
    1. Reminder that the Chair normally collects suggestions and sets the agenda of the monthly meetings, and the Secretary will write the minutes. In the absence of the Chairperson, the Secretary acts as temporary Chair, and another member of the EC will have to take minutes.
    2. RL to liaise with Anna Zaluzcowska to take over Website ownership.
    3. RF to liaise with PR to take over Membership/JISCMail ownership.
    4. RW to liaise with MM to plan Newsletter.
    5. AK has already liaised with John Finnegan; will continue to coordinate ECR activities and will support the communication, especially via social media.
  4. The new EC has to find a fixed monthly date for the regular meetings. Follow up emails confirmed the third Monday (Tuesday for Australia) of each month, starting in October. 
  5. The new members should send their bio and a picture to RL to be post on the website.

 

 

Minutes of Annual General Meeting, SRN, Porto, 13 September 2019 at 18:30

 

Apologies: Carmen Sofia Brenes, Claus Tieber

 

Acting Chair:  Paolo Russo

 

 

Minutes from AGM 2018:  Approved

 

Annual Report 2018-19 read by Chair

  • Thanks to John  Finnegan for excellent service as Early Career Representative
  • Statistics: 561 (+68/ 11.5%) from 51 countries (+4)
  • Latin America, Asia, Africa underrepresented as yet
  • Gender-balance remarkably balanced
  • Membership has been formalised a little after discussion at last AGM
  • Discussion re membership fees remains ongoing – if it is introduced, it should be kept quite low – there are fishhooks attached to charging fees
  • Awards established this year
  • Working groups: four at present – information is on the website – suggested that groups could raise their visibility at conferences – if people wish to establish a working group, this is encouraged – details of how to do this given out
  • Early Career Representative activities reported including SRN one-day conference at Falmouth – and Script Department podcast which will soon be made available

 

Action plan has been circulated and will be put up on the website – members invited to get in touch with any feedback

Action plan 2019-20: Approved 

 

Report on progress of publication of articles from Milan 2018 

  • Comunicazioni Sociali special issue just out with some articles
  • JoSc just out featured some articles
  • Members encouraged to submit articles from this year’s conference
  • JoSc Special Issues: upcoming issue dedicated to women/gender – CfP has gone out
  • Media Aesthetics and Media Usage book series brought to members’ attention
  • Palgrave Studies in Screenwriting series reminded to members
  • New Peter Lang series brought to members’ attention

 

Conferences:

  • Number of panels and papers shown in graph – real growth
  • Four-day format proposed
    • Comments on timing of conferences for US members difficult (start of school year). Difficulty for US members re timing would be even harder if event were four days; but other US members see no significant impact compared to three days
    • Or start halfway through first day which Oxford 2020 may/will do
  • Discussion re whether to have one day for ECRs, rather than full four-day event
  • Discussion re whether abstracts should be peer-reviewed – also re need to ensure abstracts are well focused – and whether number of papers should be limited
  • Upcoming conferences
    • 2020 – Oxford Brookes, UK – Weds 9th – Sat 12th September – theme: Pushing Boundaries
    • 2021 – Vienna, Austria – theme: Global – likely early October
    • 2022 – Columbia, Missouri, US – theme: Gender/Women – likely early Sept
    • 2023 – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – theme: Decolonising screenwriting

 

Elections: (Ronald Geerts election officer)

  • New ECR: Alexandra Ksenofontova
  • New members: Rosanne Welch, Rafael Leal, Rose Ferrell
  • EC needs to ensure call for nominations well publicised and early enough each year.

 

Annual Report 2018-2019:  Approved.

 

Awards:

  • Jury: Jill Nelmes, Janet Steiger, Tom Stempel
  • $500 US prize for Best Monograph
  • $100 US prize for Best Article (prize money donated anonymously)

Awarded to:

  • Monograph:  JJ Murphy – Rewriting Indie Cinema: Improvisation, pyschodrama, and the screenplay
  • Article: Rakesh Sengupta – Writing from the margins of media: Screenwriting practice and discourse during the first Indian talkies
  • Eva Novrup Redvall will join Janet Steiger and Tom Stempel on next year’s jury
  • Brief discussion re whether languages other than English could be submitted. ACTION POINT (New EC)

 

Meeting closes at 19:45

 

 

 

SRN 2020 CONFERENCE, OXFORD – CALL FOR PAPERS

13th SCREENWRITING RESEARCH NETWORK INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE

“PUSHING BOUNDARIES”

Oxford Brookes University (UK), September 9–12, 2020

 

*** NOTE – This is a SHORT version of the CfP containing essential information only.

Please read the FULL CfP here: SRN2020 – Call for Papers  ***

 

 The 13th annual International Conference of the Screenwriting Research Network (SRN 2020) will be hosted by Oxford Brookes University in the UK, on Wednesday 9th through Saturday 12th September 2020.

The Conference is organized by the Film Studies Research Unit with the support of the School of Arts of Oxford Brookes University through Quality-Related (QR) research funding. The main location of the Conference will be the John Henry Brookes Building at the Headington Campus. Oxford is well known for its history, culture and academic tradition.

In order to ensure timely notification of shortlisted delegates and subsequent travel planning, please note the deadline for the submission of all proposals/abstracts by 15 December 2019.

 

ESSENTIAL INFORMATION

Calendar (summary of deadlines)

Submissions of abstracts by: 15 December 2019

Shortlisting/notification of acceptance by: End of January 2020

Early-bird registration: From early March until 31 May 2020

Regular registration by: 15 July 2020 

Late registration by: 25 August 2020

Conference: 9-12 September 2020

 

Keynotes speakers and special guests to be announced in early 2020.

 

Submission of abstracts/proposals

Proposals/Abstracts can be sent as either a Word or PDF document: please indicate “Yourname_PROPOSALTYPE” (i.e. PAPER, PANEL, ESSAY or POSTER; see details in Full CfP) clearly in the file title and in the subject heading of your submission email to info@srn2020.com

Deadline for submission of all proposals: 15 December 2019

Earlier submissions are much welcome.

All presentations, regardless of format, must be delivered in person (i.e. no pre-recorded presentations), in English, and be underpinned by original research work being conducted by the presenter (i.e. no recycling/repetitions from previous SRN or other conferences). Multiple presenters (max 2) for co-written papers are allowed. 

We aim to notify acceptance/rejection of proposals by the end of January 2020.

 

Website and registration

The SRN 2020 Website will go live within a few weeks from the posting of this CfP.

It will include a wealth of useful information (e.g. registration, travel arrangements, accommodation options), as well as all the updates and the programme leading up to the Conference. 

Registration will have the usual phased deadlines (early-bird, regular, late-premium, student concession); the early-bird fee is expected to be in the region of £100 (GBP).

 

Contacts

Please address any query regarding abstracts, registration, programme, etc. to info@srn2020.com

For any other informal query, do contact the Conference Director (Paolo Russo) directly at paolo.russo@brookes.ac.uk