CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR THE SRN Executive Council

​As we plan for our next annual conference, this is a Call for Nominations to the SRN Executive Council. At the next AGM, several members will be elected to fill the expected vacancies and will serve for two academic years. The AGM will be held in September 2024 during the conference in Olomouc. (The exact date and time of the AGM is forthcoming.)
In order to stand for election: 
 
– Find two SRN members (a Proposer and a Seconder) who are willing to support your nomination. (You can be your own proposer.)
– You, your proposer, and seconder should be “members in good standing,” which means you must have formally signed up to the SRN at least one year ago – before 18 June 2023.
– Draft a Statement (max 250 words) to support your nomination. This typically includes a short bio and/or info about you, your main interests, your participation in the SRN, and why you wish to stand for election.
– You or your Proposer must submit the statement in support of your nomination to the Secretary of the Executive Council, Anna Weinstein, at least four weeks before the date of the election. To simplify the process this year, we suggest that you submit your nomination by August 1, 2024. Email: annaweinstein@hotmail.com OR aweinst6@kennesaw.edu.
If you are new to the SRN and do not yet know a member to ask to second your nomination, contact the Membership and Inclusion officer who can tell you the date you subscribed and is happy to second nominations for those genuinely interested in furthering the aims of the SRN as part of the Executive Council.
Once all nominations have been received and all “good standing” status confirmed: 
 
– The Secretary will make all nominations and statements available to the Membership no later than fourteen days before the date of the election (in early September).
– If nominations exceed vacancies, there shall be an election by secret ballot.
– From then on, all proceedings (including ballots, management of the election if held, and appointment of new members of the EC) will be impartially overseen by two Scrutineers, independent from the Executive Council.
– The results of the Elections will be announced at the close of the AGM and, subsequently, via our usual communications outlets (i.e., Jiscmail mailing list, SRN website and Facebook page).
Please consider standing for election! We can assure you it is a very pleasurable task, involving monthly chats online with lovely colleagues and light duties! You can get a sense of the roles on the Executive Council and what they entail by checking out the current members’ bios:
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact our Executive Council Secretary or any current or past member.
Sincerely,
Your SRN Executive Council

SRN Executive Minutes – May 2024

MINUTES

Tuesday, May 21,2024

Circulation list: Rosanne Welch (RW), Rose Ferrell (RF), Jan Cernik (JC), Isadora Garcia Avis (IGA), Anna Weinstein (AW), Lucien Georgescu (LG).  ECR Clarissa Miranda (CM)

 

  1. Apologies / Take group photo

 

  1. Approval of Minutes of previous meeting (April)

    –LG approves; RF seconds

 

  1. JC: Update on SRN2024. Reminder to all EC members to pay registration – soon and begin booking travel. Discussion of who is staying where and what will be a good EC meeting day during conference. Jan’s report “- Conference – I have been a bit bogged down in preparations over the last few weeks due to end of semester obligations. We have exams this week, so we will start to focus more on the conference again at the end of May at the latest. Some of the things that have happened in the last few weeks include a) the payment gateway is up and running and fees are coming in, b) we received a grant from the Czech Film Fund which will allow us to involve the Czech National Film Archive and the Czech Screenwriters Association in the conference, c) we have lunches arranged for the participants and are working on arranging coffee breaks. For the near future, we expect to a) publish all accepted proposals on the website, b) open a payment gateway for the conference dinner.”

 

  1. JC: Newsletter Update – “- Newsletter – will go out in June. If you have any information, please send it to me by the end of May.” Suggestions for future issues?

 

  1. RW: EC meeting switch back to Mondays for June/August?

    –All agree to switch to Mondays.

 

  1. IG: presentation of email for members on Top 5-10 suggestions/how they are being addressed from Membership Survey. For listserve and also AGM.

    –IG shares a document that she created in Spanish for an SRN member who needed certification of her participation in SRN. IG suggests that we create a folder with this type of documentation in case other members need something similar. RW says this is an excellent idea as she has already been holding onto important files like this. RF will share access to the Google drive.

 

–IG shares the document she created for SRN membership to ask for volunteers for EC service opportunities, including online roles, working group roles, and other roles. RW suggests that we have interested members reach out to RW or AW if interested. AW suggests that we add to the next newsletter. RF offers to put it on the SRN website as well.

 

  1. LG/RF: SRN Conversation #4 progress: Potsdam, London (& Leeds?) Need one done in the next month/6 weeks.

    –LG updates that he has been speaking to Adam Ganz, also had suggestions for Steven Price, Rosamund Davies, and Jill Nelmes. He thinks four will be too many for one interview. RW thinks Rosamund would likely be interested, so perhaps Adam and Rosamund for this summer’s interviews. RF thinks more would be better, more perspectives and more on screen. LG will follow up with AG and others to plan this summer’s interview.

 

  1. CM: Presentation of the report of monthly results of social media, and possible conference in Brazil in five years in the city of Florianópolis, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina.

    — CM shares that she cannot speak with the professor who will be helping with her conference right now because the faculty is on strike, but she has already spoken with him and he’s very interested. She will have more updates next month.

 

  1. RW: Upcoming Elections: Role descriptions from Rose posted. Roman Turina planning to run for EC.  ECR position update: Asked Anubha Yadov (too busy with dissertation).  CM reports that Hugo Armando Arcinega with be joining as ECR; currently studying our social media posts and will join us at the next meeting. Rose contacted Steven Maras who suggested: Joachim Strand.

    –RW asks whether we should have two ECRs or ask Joachim if he would like to join next year. RF thinks this is a good idea – one additional ECR working with CM is best for now. RW says since CM will run for the full EC for next year, she would step off the ECR role. As of now, CM and Romana Turina intend to run; RW will also rerun but not to as chair, rather to serve as succession to help the new chair. RF would like to stay one more year to help the next web person, asks if she needs to officially run. AW says she too will stay another year as needed to help the next secretary but will not rerun, rather stay on in the capacity of Teaching Innovation Award judge. IGA clarifies that we might have an official call for EC members in June with an August deadline as we did last year.

 

  1. ALL: Election planning for 2025 – who needs to run again/how do we encourage more involvement in EC? AW – schedule email about running for positions in EC with stress on web management. Ask each EC member to suggest two academics from their home countries / related countries to consider running to have a bigger pool for voting.

 

  1. AW – Teaching Awards – May 1st is deadline – give 2 more weeks.

–AW shares that they have received six or so applications. The awards committee will meet twice to review and discuss applicants. AW will email applicants to suggest that they send along any missing materials within the week.

 

  1. RW – Book awards Update: From Carmen Sofia Brenes: “We have received one chapter and five books. Re the articles and books, my colleagues and I think that we received enough books, but it would be great if more submissions of articles and Chapters can still come.”– so let’s repost about the Awards – All submissions in both categories should be made directly to all the members of the Jury (see contact details below) by 15 July 2024.

 

  1. AW/RF – Took over the list of all the books mentioned in the December listserve email about books to use in classes? Add that to the website. Build off of Camila C A Agustini: “I copied all the suggestions from this list in a Google Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BTjkzeZ_OYCMJCaaABAO0SJbFvTPJt-tT9IakIUiA18/edit –Also, Update on collecting e-booklets of abstracts from each conference to post on website?

 

–RF added these to the website, as well as other terrific resources. To access the booklist, members navigate to the Resources tab, then Links, and then: “The list of Storytelling Academic Books recommended by SRN  Members is here: Storytelling Academic Books.”

 

  1. RF – Where are we at with Leeds listserve dropping people? “You have been automatically removed from the SCREENWRITING-RESEARCH-NETWORK list (Screenwriting Research Network) as a result of repeated delivery error reports from your mail system.

This decision was based on the list’s automatic error monitoring policy and
has not been reviewed or otherwise confirmed by a person. If you receive
this message, then it means that something is wrong. While you are
obviously able to receive mail, your mail system has been regularly
reporting that your account did not exist, or that you were otherwise
permanently unable to receive mail. Here is some information that may
assist you or your local help desk in determining the cause of the
problem:
– The failing address is [left blank]
– The first error was reported on 2024-03-21.
– Since then, a total of 5 delivery errors have been received.
– The last reported error was: 5.0.0 550 Rejected – Content Policy
Please do not ignore this message. While you can re-subscribe to the
list, it is important for you to report this problem to your mail
administrator so that it can be solved. This problem is not specific to
the SCREENWRITING-RESEARCH-NETWORK list and may also affect your private mail. This means that you may have lost some private mail as well. Anyone trying to write to you during the same time frame might have received the same errors for the same reason

–RF has no updates on this problem this month.

 

  1. JC: Any updates on Heidi Philipsen international project? “- The Heidi Philipsen project is still in the evaluation process at this time. European projects are assessed sometimes for more than half a year, so it may still take some time. Heidi should be attending a conference in Olomouc and by then there should be clarity on funding, so this may be an opportunity to discuss the details of the collaboration directly with her as PI. However, it is still the case that the SRN and the newly formed working group should serve as a platform for testing and disseminating the software (and ideas) of sustained screenwriting.”

 

  1. Start conversation on Succession planning/new ideas for EC. Good to invite Working group leaders every few months

    –RW says we should discuss in June how we run elections for EC members who are willing to serve in the capacity of assisting those newly appointed.

 

  1. The EC should consider creating a small FAQ to keep this institutional memory available for future conference organizers.

 

Date of next meeting(s):  Mondays same time –June 17, July 22 (off), Aug. 19, Sept. 12 (in person at SRN2024).

 

SRN Executive Minutes – April 2024

MINUTES

Tuesday, April 23,2024

Circulation list: Rosanne Welch (RW), Rose Ferrell (RF), Jan Cernik (JC), Isadora Garcia Avis (IGA), Anna Weinstein (AW), Lucien Georgescu (LG).  ECR Clarissa Miranda (CM)

 

  1. Apologies / Take group photo–JC

 

  1. Approval of Minutes of previous meeting (February)–LG approves, RW seconds

 

  1. JC: Update on SRN2024. Reminder to all EC members to pay registration – soon. J–We will return to this at the May meeting.

 

  1. JC: Newsletter Update – thanks for the latest issue – next deadline? Suggestions for future issues?

 

  1. ECR position update after the AGM: Matt Kirton, Lecturer in Creative Writing, DMU–RW reports that the gentleman who was considering the position hasn’t gotten back to her. RW asks that we all think about who we know that could be a good candidate. RW and RF suggest that a member with a PhD or MFA would work for the position. CM suggests that Diego’s new MFA program might be a good starting place to find a candidate. IGA suggests that we consider sending out an announcement to the listserve.

 

  1. IG: presentation of email for members on Top 5-10 suggestions/how they are being addressed from Membership Survey. For listserve and also AGM.

–IGA has had a busy month, but she will work on the suggestions this month.

 

  1. CM: Presentation of the report of monthly results of social media, and possible conference in Brazil in five years in the city of Florianópolis, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina.

–CM reports that she is scheduling a team with the university mid-May. She will have an update next month. She has been exchanging emails with the screenwriter that they are hoping to bring.

 

  1. LG/RF: SRN Conversation #4 progress: Potsdam, London (& Leeds?)

–LG reports that RF has done a terrific job. The list includes Kerstin Stutterheim, Adam Ganz, and Ian Macdonald. At this point, they are working on timing. LG asks if a 1:1 with Adam would be a good idea. RW says 1:1 confirms this is a good idea, but the conference oral histories need to have at least 2-3 interviewees. 1:1 with founding members is a terrific idea for additional oral histories. RF suggests Steven Price and Rosalie Davies as the second and third potential interviews for the summer or at the conference.

 

  1. RF – Where are we at with Leeds listserve dropping people? “You have been automatically removed from the SCREENWRITING-RESEARCH-NETWORK list (Screenwriting Research Network) as a result of repeated delivery error reports from your mail system.

This decision was based on the list’s automatic error monitoring policy and
has not been reviewed or otherwise confirmed by a person. If you receive
this message, then it means that something is wrong. While you are
obviously able to receive mail, your mail system has been regularly
reporting that your account did not exist, or that you were otherwise
permanently unable to receive mail. Here is some information that may
assist you or your local help desk in determining the cause of the
problem:
– The failing address is [left blank]
– The first error was reported on 2024-03-21.
– Since then, a total of 5 delivery errors have been received.
– The last reported error was: 5.0.0 550 Rejected – Content Policy
Please do not ignore this message. While you can re-subscribe to the
list, it is important for you to report this problem to your mail
administrator so that it can be solved. This problem is not specific to
the SCREENWRITING-RESEARCH-NETWORK list and may also affect your private mail. This means that you may have lost some private mail as well. Anyone trying to write to you during the same time frame might have received the same errors for the same reason

–RF reports that she followed up with Leeds, and they are not finding anything wrong technically. RF thinks it’s an AI problem. IGA suggests that it might the user’s email server.

 

  1. AW/RF – Took over the list of all the books mentioned in the December listserve email about books to use in classes? Add that to the website. Build off of Camila C A Agustini: “I copied all the suggestions from this list in a Google Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BTjkzeZ_OYCMJCaaABAO0SJbFvTPJt-tT9IakIUiA18/edit –Also, Update on collecting e-booklets of abstracts from each conference to post on website?–RF hasn’t had a chance to find and compile the abstracts, but she will work on that in the coming months. RF asks that we all send her materials that we have.

 

  1. ALL: Election planning for 2025 – who needs to run again/how do we encourage more involvement in EC? AW – schedule email about running for positions in EC with stress on web management. . Ask each EC member to suggest two academics from their home countries / related countries to consider running to have a bigger pool for voting.

–RW suggests that we include the invitation for the ECR to this email. LG suggests that we write a brief description of the role. RF reminds us that she wrote brief descriptions of the different positions on the board. We will all review and add any additions/changes.

 

  1. JC: Any updates on Heidi Philipsen international project?–We will return to this at the May meeting.

 

  1. Start conversation on Succession planning–We will return to this at the May meeting.

 

  1. The EC should consider creating a small FAQ to keep this institutional memory available for future conference organizers.

 

  1. Other business – RW giving Comparative Screenwriting lecture tomorrow (Wed, April 28 at 10am Los Angeles time)–AW reminds EC about Teaching Innovation Awards. Already have several submissions with emails from members saying they intend to submit. All agree we should extend deadline to May 15, and AW should send out one more announcement.

 

Date of next meeting(s):  Tuesdays same time – May 21, June 18, July 23, Aug. 20, Sept. 13 (in person at SRN2024).

 

SRN Executive Minutes – March 2024

SRN Executive Council Meeting

(via Zoom)

Tuesday, March 19,2024 (Happy St. Joseph’s Day in Italy!)

 

7am Los Angeles (Daylight Savings Time has Begun in the U.S.)

 

Visiting Working Group Chairs

Chris Neilan

Romana Turina

Maxine Gee

 

Circulation list: Rosanne Welch (RW), Rose Ferrell (RF), Jan Cernik (JC), Isadora Garcia Avis (IGA), Anna Weinstein (AW), Lucien Georgescu (LG).  ECR Clarissa Miranda (CM)

 

  1. Apologies / Take group photo

 

  1. Approval of Minutes of previous meeting (February)–RF approves, AW seconds

 

  1. AW/RW: Beginning with the Good news from Dr. Russo on the Statement regarding Oxford Brookes slashing of Arts and Humanities programs! (Add his letter into the Minutes)–See below for attached letter from Dr. Russo to SRN membership.

 

  1. Working Group Update from Romana Turina, Chris Neilan, Maxine Gee.

–Comparative Screenwriting Working Group: Romana shares that they have had 10 sessions so far, currently working on the 11th. Five to 10 people attend each session, with another 20 viewing the videos each month. Romana and Paolo will be writing a statement (hoping to include in the journal) on the field of comparative screenwriting and what it means. Romana has also been working with a colleague on a book concept on comparative screenwriting. RF asks whether we can include a link to the comparative writing seminars on the YouTube site. Romana would appreciate that. Max asks about time zones and what has been working best. 10am LA/6pm UK but will be shifting it to accommodate scholars from Australia as well.

–Romina has an event in Italy in July and wondering about supplementary funding for bags etc and use of the SRN logo for her event. RW says no problem to use logo but no funding available unfortunately, as SRN doesn’t charge membership fees.

 

–Practice-led/Based Working Group: Max updates that they are figuring out the scripts they will run for the table reads at the Sept conference. She and Jan have been exchanging emails about how to set it up. Deciding whether/how to collaborate with Czech actors or screenwriting students for the table reads. JC has connections; he and Max will connect offline to discuss. Max is working on a virtual work-in-progress table read session, possibly in May, aiming to host over two days so it’s useful to colleagues in Australia and UK.

 

–Max shares that she is part of Bridging Responsible AI Divides (BRIDGE) – concerning the responsible integration of AI into script production. Max wonders if the EC would like to have a one-off online session to gather viewpoints from colleagues so we can record it and categorize it. JC offers that there will be two AI panels at the conference in Sept. RF suggests that a pre-conference virtual workshop/panel (over the summer) will be useful to SRN members, possibly inviting AI experts to share their perspective/opportunities for ethical integration of AI in screenwriting. AW suggests that a focus on working with students/teaching would be useful, particularly as faculty are prepping their syllabi for the fall. Max agrees to facilitate this.

 

–Creative Play Working Group: Chris updates that though the group started out strong with many people wanting to attend and run the sessions, 7-10 people in the first two sessions, the third session had only one attendee (end of January). He is working on the next session for the end of April. RW and RF suggest that he use social media and the listserve to get the message out. CM offers that she can post about it on Instagram and FB; she would just need some details from Chris. IG suggests that we include in the newsletter a reminder about the current working groups and opportunities for getting involved. RW agrees that this is a good idea. Chris asks whether he could come up with a panel for the conference. JC says there is room for his working group at the conference. They will connect offline.

 

  1. ECR position update after the AGM: Matt Kirton, Lecturer in Creative Writing, DMU is emailing offline with Clarissa about the work load OR we could ask book reviewer: Amanda Allen <aj_allen@live.com> (finishing my PhD at Falmouth, UK.

 

  1. JC: Heidi Philipsen from Denmark is preparing a big international project and would like to include SRN. It could be done through a working group (which would have to be set up after a discussion with the EC…Discussion tabled to next meeting.

 

  1. JC: Update on SRN2024!–JC updates that they are working on the payment gateway for conference participants. They are keeping the payment to $120 / 100 euros. Waiting on money from the Czech Film Fund, hoping to hear back soon.
    –LG asks about cameras to record the sessions. JC says it’s a possibility. LG says if he has some budget funds he will bring a camera person, so they should discuss offline. RW says she was hoping to do that for the Missouri conference but it was difficult to getting enough student volunteers. She thinks it’s an excellent idea but a lot of work. JC suggests that he would first ask all of the participants if they are interested in being recorded. LG clarifies that he meant a mini-documentary rather than recording individual papers. The EC agrees that this would be an excellent idea — great to include on the YouTube channel. IG suggests that we ensure we have permissions in place from anyone in the video.

 

  1. JC – Newsletter Update – thanks for the latest issue – next deadline? Suggestions for future issues?–JC shares that end of May is the next deadline.

 

  1. IG: presentation of email for members on Top 5-10 suggestions/how they are being addressed from Membership Survey. For listserve and also AGM.–IG organized suggestions from SRN membership. The most requests had to with screenwriting discussion and feedback. She has created a list of volunteer coordinator opportunities that we can send out via the listserve or newsletter. One suggestion included an online discussion forum. Though this would be more challenging/time-consuming to coordinate, the EC agrees that it’s worth putting out the ask in case an SRN member is interested in facilitating.

 

  1. CM: Presentation of the report of monthly results of social media, and possible conference in Brazil in five years in the city of Florianópolis, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina.–To discuss at next meeting

 

  1. LG/RF: SRN Conversation #4 progress: Potsdam, London (& Leeds?)–IG agrees with LG’s ideas detailed in his email. LG will meet with RF offline and send an update to the EC.

 

  1. AW/RF – Took over the list of all the books mentioned in the December listserve email about books to use in classes? Add that to the website. Build off of Camila C A Agustini: “I copied all the suggestions from this list in a Google Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BTjkzeZ_OYCMJCaaABAO0SJbFvTPJt-tT9IakIUiA18/edit –Also, Update on collecting e-booklets of abstracts from each conference to post on website?–To discuss at next meeting

 

  1. ALL: Election planning for 2025 – who needs to run again/how do we encourage more involvement in EC? Start conversation on Succession planning/encouraging more members to run for EC. Ask each EC member to suggest two academics from their home countries / related countries to consider running to have a bigger pool for voting.

–To discuss at next meeting

 

  1. The EC should consider creating a small FAQ to keep this institutional memory available for future conference organizers.—To discuss at next meeting

 

  1. Other business

–AW forwards email from SRN member in Spain who needs a letter to confirm participation in SRN. IG offers to reply and take care of this in Spanish.

 

Date of next meeting(s):  Tuesdays same time – April 23, May 21, June 18, July 23, Aug. 20, Sept. 13 (in person at SRN2024).

 

Letter from Paolo Russo:

 

Dear SRN colleagues

 

I’ll keep this brief and go straight to the point.

 

I simply want to update and inform everyone that yesterday I was notified by my university that I am no longer at risk of losing my job. Of course, it’s difficult to know for sure, but I am quite confident that Rosanne’s letter on behalf of the SRN played a significant role in pushing for a positive resolution of what (I have to admit) has been a rather brutal and distressing experience. One thing I know, is that the recipients of that letter, starting from my Head of School, were beyond impressed by the sheer number of signatures – and I for one was blown away by it.

 

So, thank you, to each and every single one of you, to Rosanne, Anna and the whole EC (Jan, Rose, Isadora, Clarissa, and Lucian) – not just for sending the letter but also for the dozens of supportive/concerned/friendly/cheering-up emails and messages over the past few months: one might think that simply dropping a line to someone going through a rough patch does not do much to resolve much bigger problems, but one would be wrong. I will cherish every single word all of you were so kind to send my way. I will email everyone individually next week and I can’t wait to thank many of you in person next September in Olomouc.

 

One more thing: if, in any way, this shows that I can be used as a guinea pig so that in the future the SRN might do the same to try and support any other colleagues anywhere else who find themselves facing similar adversities, then this has not been for nothing. As Anna argued on behalf of the EC, higher education is facing a troubled present and an even more uncertain future in many countries – and the arts, humanities and media in particular have become a favourite (and easy) target despite much evidence to contrast any (often ludicrous) excuse behind each and every attempt against them. While we are happy that at least for now the worst seems to be over, the situation at Oxford Brookes is far from being resolved for good, as in many other universities. With that in mind, let’s do our best so that the SRN can keep being the amazing community it has grown to be.

 

With heartfelt gratitude.

Take care!

 

Paolo Russo

SRN Executive Minutes – February 2024

SRN Executive Council Meeting

(via Zoom)

Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Circulation list: Rosanne Welch (RW), Rose Ferrell (RF), Jan Cernik (JC), Isadora Garcia Avis (IGA), Anna Weinstein (AW), Lucien Georgescu (LG).  ECR Clarissa Miranda (CM)

 

  1. Apologies / Take group photo
  2. Approval of Minutes of previous meeting (November)
    –Jan and Isadora
    –Rosanne approves, Anna seconds

 

  1. ECR position update after the AGM: Meeting Marco Ianniello, recommended by Craig Batty. marco.ianniello@nd.edu.au – Times don’t line up so will look for other 2nd ECs

 

  1. JC: Update on SRN2024! (via email) We have accepted 104 proposals. In addition to the classic topics like teaching screenwriting, we also had proposals dealing with AI and virtual reality. I’m very happy about this, because it shows that we have a strong community that has the ambition to tackle current issues.
    • We are also dealing with financial resources from the Czech Cinema Fund.
    • Donat Keutsch, Peter Krämer, Alice Nellis will be keynote speakers at the conference. We are still negotiating with Agniezska Holland, but she is making a film and we will definitely confirm this in the summer.
    • The conference will have its own social networks. I would like to ask Clarissa to contact my colleague Anna (simakova01@upol.cz) to arrange to share posts on our network’s social media.
    • Please ask Lucian if he has received confirmation of the acceptance of his proposal.

 

  • JC – Newsletter Update – (via email)
    • I have compiled the information for the newsletter but have not had time to prepare it for mailing. Hopefully I’ll get to it next week.
    • I’m so sorry for the delay with finishing of newsletter, but I couldn’t make it through work and family obligations. I’m fighting with time management…

 

  1. AW/RW: No new news on Statement regarding Oxford Brookes slashing of Arts and Humanities programs. Expect update by end Feb. Will email rather than wait for next meeting.

    –Rosanne updates on Paolo’s situation.

 

  1. RW: Update on Awards:

Teaching Award Judges: (Ian MacDonald, Anna Weinstein Rosamund Davies.

Jan will post in newsletter/RW or AW will post to listserve?

 

Book/Monograph Award Judges – Need to post to listserve as well:

Carmen Sofia Brenes csbrenes@gmail.com

Leslie Kreiner <leslie.kreiner@pepperdine.edu>

Jayalakshmi, Garrabost G.Jayalakshmi@napier.ac.uk

“ Runner-Up TAPS British writer of the year (2004 or 2005)/in China for four years setting up a film school and working with Chinese filmmakers”

–AW will send out another announcement via the listserve about the Teaching Awards, moving the deadline to May 1.

 

  1. IG: presentation of email for members on Top 5-10 suggestions/how they are being addressed from Membership Survey. For listserve and also AGM.

    –Postponed until March meeting.

 

  1. CM: Presentation of the report of monthly results of social media, and possible conference in Brazil in five years in the city of Florianópolis, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina.

    –CM updates on her discussion with Carmen on the mid-year conference, how the translation worked (dual-language) with headphones and a translator. CM is aiming for 2025 or 2026 because she would need a lot of sponsorship to run the conference. Ideally aiming for April due to weather. Would like to bring Anna Muylaert to do a keynote.

    –CM has been putting the emails into posts. Every three days posting something new.

 

  1. RF: Thanks to Rose for adding the international list of Writers Guilds to the webpage of Website. NEW IDEAS: Post list of members produced credits? Collect e-booklets of abstracts from each conference to post on website?

    –RF suggests that a collection of credits would take too much bandwidth on the website as well as workload, especially since credits are constantly changing. RW agrees

 

  1. AW/RF – Took over the list of all the books mentioned in the December listserve email about books to use in classes? Add that to the website. Build off of Camila C A Agustini: “I copied all the suggestions from this list in a Google Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BTjkzeZ_OYCMJCaaABAO0SJbFvTPJt-tT9IakIUiA18/edit

 

  1. RF: SRN Conversation #3 now on YouTube – need someone to organize Converation #4 with Kerstin (since she was sick) and who else?

–RF is still working on determining who will be a part of the conversation. RW suggests that it would be ideal if we could have another conversation in the next three months. RF suggests that we need someone to help organize. CM says she can help to organize. LG says he can help as well. RW explains that one person can organize, and another can do the interview. LG says he’s happy to interview Adam Ganz, and RW explains that they will interview Adam as well as Kerstin. RF suggests that this might be an ECR job, RW agrees that makes sense since this is social media related. RW says that by March they should nail down the dates they are aiming for.

 

  1. ALL: Election planning for 2025 – who needs to run again/how do we encourage more involvement in EC? Start conversation on Succession planning/encouraging more members to run for EC. Ask each EC member to suggest two academics from their home countries / related countries to consider running to have a bigger pool for voting.

    –RW points out that RW, RF, and AW would need to run again to stay on the board. RF says that she is inclined to step down. RW suggests that rather than stepping down, she could stay on as a website mentor for the new person who comes on board. LG seconds this. Jan and Isadora are continuing for the next two years since they were voted in last year.

 

  1. The EC should consider creating a small FAQ to keep this institutional memory available for future conference organizers.

    –RF would like to collect the abstracts. She will determine which books she still needs and let RW know, and then RW will send out an announcement to the listserve requesting missing books of abstracts from past conferences.

 

  1. Working Group Update: Invite group leaders to March meeting for updates.

 

  1. Other business

    –RF asks if LG wants to have a specific role as now he is a member at large. RF suggests that he may be in charge of the Conversations. LG likes the idea as he has a background in journalism, reluctant to commit until he has more details about the time requirement. RF, LG, and CM will connect offline before the next meeting to discuss the next Conversation.

 

Date of next meeting(s):  Tuesdays same time – March 19, April 23, May 21, June 18, July 23, Aug. 20, Sept. 13 (in person at SRN2024).

 

 

SRN Executive Minutes – January 2024

Monday, January 15, 2024

7am Los Angeles (now in Daylight Savings)

 

Circulation list: Rosanne Welch (RW), Rose Ferrell (RF), Jan Cernik (JC), Isadora Garcia Avis (IGA), Anna Weinstein (AW), Lucien Georgescu (LG).  ECR Clarissa Miranda (CM)

 

  1. Apologies / Take group photo

 

  1. Approval of Minutes of previous meeting (November)

    –LG approves, IGA seconds

 

  1. ECR position update after the AGM: Meeting Marco Ianniello, recommended by Craig Batty. marco.ianniello@nd.edu.au

–RW reports that she is still waiting to hear back from Dr. Ianniello.

  1. Choose new day of the week to be adjusted for Spring Semester change Feb. 19, March 18, April 22, May 20, June 17, July 22, Aug. 19, Sept. 13 (in person at SRN2024).

    –Moved to Tuesday mornings same time (see below).

 

  1. JC: Update on SRN2024! Also — Newsletter suggestions for future issues? (Announce Teaching Award). Next release date to prep?

    –JC reports that we should send additions to the newsletter by Feb 11. RW suggests announcing new books in the newsletter. LG notes that he recently translated Steven Maras’s book into Romanian. AW notes her new book. Both will email LG.

 

  1. AW/RW: Discuss response to Statement regarding Oxford Brookes slashing of Arts and Humanities programs as endemic of international issue effecting many SRN colleagues. Will be sending letter out next week.

    –RW updates group on status of Paolo Russo’s situation at Oxford Brookes. More than 100 signatures on the email attachment. Russo suggests to wait until January 23 for RW to send the email to his school director.

 

  1. RW: Update on Awards: Teaching Award approved at AGM. Need 2 Judges (Ian MacDonald accepted, Anna Weinstein accepted – Steven Maras asked by LG/ he declined. RW asked Rosamund Davies who said Yes. RW sent info out to listserve 12/20/23. STILL NEED 1 new Book/Monograph Award Judge (Carmen staying, Leslie Kreiner Wilson of Pepperdine University joining) –other Suggestions or RW will reach out to previous Book winners?

–RW notes that she will reach out to previous winners.

 

  1. IG: Continued discussion of suggestions from Membership Survey- prepare email for members on Top 5-10 suggestions and how they are being addressed.

    –IG reports on several new suggestions: for online workshops, different dates for the conference, opportunities for screenwriters to give one another constructive feedback, the role of AI in screenwriting; RW suggests a roundtable at the Sept ’24 conference; JC says that there will be at least one panel on AI based on the abstracts. IG reports on another suggestion about bridging professional screenwriters with screenwriting in academia. RW suggests that we brings these suggestions to the meeting at the next conference to get members involved in leadership roles.

 

  1. CM: Presentation of the report of monthly results of social media, and possible conference in Brazil in five years in the city of Florianópolis, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina.

    –Will wait for CM’s report at the Feb meeting.

 

  1. RF: Thanks to Rose for adding the international list of Writers Guilds to the webpage of Website. Also, adding a tab for official photos from conferences? NEW IDEAS: Post list of members produced credits? Collect e-booklets of abstracts from each conference to post on website?

    –Will revisit with RF’s report at the Feb meeting.

 

  1. RW – Can someone take over the list of all the books mentioned in the December listserve email about books to use in classes? We could add that to the website. Camila C A Agustini alredy did: “I copied all the suggestions from this list in a Google Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BTjkzeZ_OYCMJCaaABAO0SJbFvTPJt-tT9IakIUiA18/edit

    –AW will clean up the list for RF for the website.

 

  1. RF: SRN Conversation #3 now on YouTube – need someone to organize Converation #4 with Kerstin (since she was sick) and who else?

    –Will revisit at the Feb meeting when RF is present.

 

  1. AI statement wording to post on website?

    –Will revisit at the Feb meeting when all are present.

 

  1. RW: Start conversation on Succession planning/encouraging more members to run for EC. Ask each EC member to suggest two academics from their home countries / related countries to consider running to have a bigger pool we can consider.

    –Will revisit at the Feb meeting when all are present.

 

  1. Working Group Update: Invite group leaders to next meeting for updates?

    –EC agrees to invite them to the March 19 meeting.

 

  1. Other business

 

Date of next meeting(s): Tuesdays same time – Feb. 20, March 19, April 23, May 21, June 18, July 23, Aug. 20, Sept. 13 (in person at SRN2024).

 

 

SRN Awards 2024

SRN Awards 2024

The SRN AWARDS will celebrate the 5th edition at the 2024 Conference in the Czech Republic this September 2024.

We invite all members and colleagues to submit Nominations for the best publications of 2023/2024 by the new deadline of 15 July 2024 for articles published between 1 June 2023 & 31 May 2024.Both nominations and self-nominations are welcome. Winners will be announced at the 2024 SRN Conference in the Czech Republic.
The Awards this year will be again in two categories:
Best Monograph – for single-authored or co-authored volumes (any format)
Best Journal Article/Book Chapter – Both articles and chapters normally range around 6-8,000 words but the format may vary.
While no ratings of journals/publishers will be a factor in the evaluation of submissions, all publications should be scholarly, fully peer-reviewed work underpinned by substantial research specifically in the area of Screenwriting Studies. Submitted titles must have been published between 1 June 2022 & 31 May 2024.

Guidelines for the submission of nominations:
All submissions in both categories should be made directly to all the members of the Jury (see contact details below) by 15 July 2024. However, early submissions are most welcome and encouraged.
MONOGRAPHS – Nominees and self-nominees should send hard copies of their monographs directly to each Juror via regular mail/courier. Publishers are usually happy to supply complimentary evaluation/inspection copies: only where this is really not possible (including, for instance, volumes due out very close to the deadline), authors can send a PDF copy of the approved preprint manuscript (in this case via email) as a backup option.
ARTICLES/CHAPTERS – Individual journal articles (i.e. not the whole journal) or chapters (i.e. not the whole book) should be sent as PDF (as per preprint approved draft) directly to each of the Jurors via email.

All submissions will be evaluated independently by our Jury of distinguished academics:

Professor Carmen Sofia Brenes csbrenes@gmail.com

Leslie Kreiner Wilson leslie.kreiner@pepperdine.edu

Garrabost Jayalakshmi g.jayalakshmi@napier.ac.uk

 

If you have any enquiries, please contact Rosanne Welch Rwelch@stephens.edu